Parent Interview Assignment
Part 1: Interview with a Parent of an Adolescent
For the first part of this Parent Interview Assignment, you will interview a parent who has raised a child into/through the adolescent years. Use the following questions in the interview as well as one additional question you create that is of particular interest to you. Be sure to transcribe the interviewee’s responses to all 12 questions as accurately and completely as possible.
1. How old is your child/children?
2. How has adolescence different from the elementary school years for your child/children? What changes have you seen in them?
3. What age has been your favorite in the parenting process? Why?
4. (If a parent has a boy and girl) Which gender has been more challenging to raise? Why?
5. What do you think are the greatest challenges to children/adolescents today?
6. What areas of parenting do you feel like you’ve been a success? What areas have been challenging?
7. What things are necessary to raise a healthy child?
8. What is the best parenting advice you’ve ever received?
9. What role does faith play in your family life?
10. If you could change one thing about your family, what would it be?
11. How do you cope with the anxiety and pressures that come with parenting?
Part 2: Reflective Analysis of the Interviewee’s parenting skills
For the second part of this Parent Interview Assignment, you will write a reflection on the topics discussed in the interview. Included in your reflection should be encouraging/suggestions you would offer the parent in response to the answers given (Encouragements/Suggestions should be made as if you were living through the experiences in real time…what would you have said at the time they were living through what was revealed in their answers). Be sure to support your thoughts with Scripture and follow current APA guidelines. Your reflection must be a minimum of 250 words.
Note: Your assignment will be checked for originality via the Turnitin plagiarism tool.